Thursday, January 18, 2007

Education update

I've been out of college for twelve years. I've worked in my field since I walked out of graduation (Actually, I was working the last semester). I've gone back to school on occasion to add a foundation in a new language that I needed. In that process I have learned that I would have a hard time going back to college. The pace is too slow for me. By the end of the first two weeks I'm ready to be done with the course. Most professional training courses are taught in a one to two week format and cover a lot of material in a short time. I guess I've grown accustomed to learning rapidly on my feet. So when I looked at how to add an understanding of everything electrical and electronic to my skill set I chose the home learning route.

Now I have tried this route several times and I have used several texts. I have come to another understanding that I am refusing to accept. I have some kind of mental block when it comes to electrons and how they travel through a circuit. I'm not going to let this beat me. I am on the third chapter of a very large book that is supposed to cover everything I need to know. I already know better than to believe that, but it is certainly setting the foundation.

I have not completely given up on the idea of going back to college for an intro to Electronics but I'm going to see where this takes me. Luckily the Mindstorms kit does not require me to know anything about electronics. I have completed the first two kits. I'm progressing slowly as time allows. The kits advance in difficulty culminating in the NXT Rex bipedal robot. It has the highest difficulty rating and appears to have a rather complex program. I am not going to skip to it yet though. I want to try and control my impatience and spend my time learning the basics. A good foundation makes for a strong building.

No comments: